Call for Artists - Engage 2017
ZAPPlication: ENGAGE Art Fair 2017
Artist Application: https://www.zapplication.org/event-info.php?ID=5622
Deadline: 2/26/17 midnight
ENGAGE Art Fair will return for its third year as a signature event of Napa Valley Arts in April’s showcase of the arts. The event provides an interactive, sensory experience for guests and an alternative to the traditional booth-style art fair setting.
Presented by Celebrate! Napa Valley in collaboration with Arts Council Napa Valley, ENGAGE Art Fair is an annual, curated and immersive event featuring some of the Bay Area’s best artists, craftspeople and performers who gather in Calistoga to meet, create and engage with the public.
- Selected Artists are invited to display their work in an 11,000 square foot converted gallery space that is designed to promote interaction between the Artists and guests.
- ENGAGE Art Fair 2017 will be open on the night of Friday, March 31 with a ticketed preview party, followed by complimentary access during both Saturday and Sunday.
- Showcase a diverse range of high-quality Bay Area visual and performing arts
- Develop local and visitor appreciation for Napa Valley arts
- Drive cultural tourism growth of first and return visits throughout the year to experience Napa Valley arts and culture
- Offer opportunities for rich, interactive, educational and creative experiences for guests
- Provide opportunities for exhibitors and performers to build relationships with collectors and supporters of the arts
II. GENERAL INFO
ARTIST BENEFITS + PROGRAMS
- Artists pay no sales commissions
- Artist listing in collateral materials and onsite signage, plus highlighted feature on ENGAGEartfair.org website
- Marketing and promotion of event and participants
- Up to four complimentary tickets to the opening party for each artist to share with his or her premiere patrons
- Opportunity to provide marketing collateral for patron swag bags
- One parking space in the Artist designated parking area
- Hospitality (continental breakfast both days + break area)
Annual Artist In Residence Program
Each year, up to three artists will be selected to participate in the ENGAGE Artist in Residence Program. Chosen by ENGAGE team and Advisory Panel members, the selection will be based on merit and ability to create a signature piece on site and/or provide a hands-on experience for guests during ENGAGE Art Fair. Participation fees will be waived for the Artist In Residence and Artist will be given showcase placement at the event.
There will be a significant amount of publicity to promote ENGAGE Art Fair as part of the overall Napa Valley Arts in April program. Promotions also include:
- Online listings on ENGAGEartfair.org, VisitCalistoga.com, WineCountry.com, and TripAdvisor.com
- Social media support on all ENGAGE handles: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram
- Direct-to-visitor email campaigns
- Highway banner announcing program info over Calistoga’s Lincoln Avenue
- Event rack cards at all Napa County visitor centers
- Local and Bay Area media and community outreach: press releases and radio spots
- Promotional posters distributed throughout San Francisco, Marin, Sonoma, Sacramento, and Napa counties
- Onsite advertising and promotional package offerings at participating lodging and winery partners
- Clear and captivating directional event signage
Calistoga & Local Area
With a population of just over 5,000, Calistoga sits at the top of the beautiful Napa Valley. Famous for healing mineral hot springs, wineries and hospitality, this charming town has a rich history evident in the authentic facades and Victorian architecture of its businesses and homes.
The Napa County Fairgrounds, home of ENGAGE Art Fair, are centrally located, just a 10 minute walk from downtown Lincoln Street through the charming residential neighborhood of historic Calistoga. The Fairgrounds offer ample parking as well as complimentary shuttle to transport guests between ENGAGE Art Fair and downtown cafes, restaurants and hospitality partners, as well as connectivity to Arts in April community activities.
Weather-wise, Napa Valley is blessed with a temperate climate year-round. In April, visitors can expect warm sunny days and cool nights. Temperatures at that time of year generally range from a day-time high in the 70’s to the 40’s at night.
Nearby Napa Valley towns to the south include: St. Helena (about a 15 minute drive), Rutherford (25 minutes), Yountville (40 minutes) and Napa (50 minutes). Santa Rosa is the closest large city (15 minutes west) and both Sacramento and San Francisco are within a 2 hour drive.
ARTIST SELECTION PROCESS
ENGAGE Art Fair is an exclusive event with both an invitational and open application process.
A. Open Application Process
All eligible artists are encouraged to apply through the ZAPPlication site. All applications will be reviewed by a Selection Panel of arts professionals, members of which will be invited each year by ENGAGE management. The blind selection process will be conducted remotely, using ZAPPlication, an online platform and only digital images will be accepted. Artist names and business names will be removed from all applications.
The Selection Panel will be instructed to use the following criteria when reviewing artist applications:
Quality of workmanship.
Creativity, originality and conception.
Professional presentation + experience.
Overall impression of work.
Selected artists will be invited to participate. Panel selections are final and no comments will be provided.
Waitlisted artists will be notified and offered spaces upon space availability.
B. Invitational Process
In addition to the open call for artists using ZAPPlication, the ENGAGE curatorial team will also have the option to invite specific artists of their choosing who also fit the selection criteria listed above.
III. RULES + REGULATIONS
- ENGAGE Art Fair is open to all professional artists living or working in the San Francisco Bay Area, defined by: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma Counties.
- No work by apprentices or employees will be accepted. Commercial agents, dealers, or manufacturers are not eligible to enter.
SELECTED ARTIST REQUIREMENTS
- Participation of the accepted artist is required at ENGAGE Art Fair, March 31st through April 2nd, 2017. Representatives may not be sent in the artist’s place.
- Only works of art created by the artist will be accepted may be displayed or offered for sale.
- Work exhibited must be comparable in size, style, and quality to the work presented in the application and accepted by the jury.
- Works beyond the scope or medium as originally accepted by the jury will be prohibited from exhibition.
- All participating artists must submit a Proposal for Visitor Engagement, up to 200 words. Visitor engagement is required. This may include a hand-on area, display of tools and equipment, plan for live working, video area of artist at work, etc. Please be as descriptive as possible.
- Accepted artists must return a completed and signed Artist Acceptance Form, including full participation fee prior to March 24, 2017 at 5pm or their assigned artist space will be considered forfeited and become available to Waitlisted artists.
- All selected work will be displayed and represented for sale to the public at ENGAGE Art Fair must been designed and executed by the Artist.
- All work exhibited must be for sale.
- Artist must certify that all images submitted through the application process represent his/her original work.
- Artist may display only work juried in the medium accepted.
- For any printed work displayed, only limited edition, signed, and numbered reproductions of artworks are allowed. Artists must define “limited edition” through their Artist Statement and must disclose their process to the buyer. Editions may not exceed 450.
- Original art must occupy more than 75% of the applicant’s space. In the case of photographers and printmakers, this means gallery-quality framed work.
- ENGAGE Art Fair reserves the right to monitor displays of all art displayed including multiples. If the Curatorial Team determines that any work does not meet show standards, the Team may take any action deemed appropriate for compliance.
APPLICATION CATEGORY + MEDIA DEFINITIONS
There are two categories artists may apply within: as a MAKER or as a FINE ARTIST.
Artists applying under the FINE ARTIST category may apply in up to FIVE media types to be exhibited in the same space, but must submit separate applications for each medium. If accepted, Artists may exhibit work ONLY in the accepted categories artist application as accepted. Artists may not apply more than once in the same category.
For both category types, ALL artwork must be installation-ready with appropriate hanging hardware. For 3D work, Artist is responsible for proper display materials (pedestals, etc.).
FINE ART CATEGORY
Selected artists submitting work as Fine Art will receive indoor display space, and may select one of three space sizes (S, M or L). Again, fine artists may submit work in up to five media types, but a separate application must be submitted for each. Accepted media:
- 2-D Mixed Media: Work using MULTIPLE media that has a relief depth of LESS than 1/8” thick. This category includes: collage, handmade paper, fiber that is not wearable, etc.
- 3-D Mixed Media: Work using MULTIPLE media that has a relief depth of MORE than 1/8” thick.
- Ceramics: Original clay work. No machine made or mass produced work will be accepted.
- Digital Art: Work in which the original image was created by the artist, using a computer. Work must be made in limited editions, signed and numbered, on archival quality materials. Photographs taken through a digital capture device (i.e. camera) must apply in the “Photography” category even if it has been manipulated in post processing using a computer. Reproductions must be in signed editions of no more than 450.
- Drawing: Art that is created with pencils, charcoal, chalk, pastels, etc.
- Fiber: Handcrafted fiber, straw, leather, or other similar materials. No machine tooling, machine-screened patterns or other forms of mass production accepted. No studio production work will be accepted.
- Glass: No molds or other forms of mass production allowed.
- Jewelry: No commercial casts, molds, or production studio work allowed.
- Metal: Sculptural work made of any metal to be functional or decorative.
- Painting: Work created using oil, acrylic, or watercolor paints on canvas or paper. Reproductions or giclées may not exceed editions of 450. At least 75% of the display must be original artwork. Artists must define their work in their Artist Statement and must disclose their process.
- Photography: Art made using a camera, including black and white or color, digital or original prints from negatives. Prints must be made from the Artist’s original work, be processed by the Artist or under the Artist’s supervision, properly signed and numbered, and in editions of not more than 450. At least 50% of the display must be original, wall-hung artwork.
- Printmaking: Work including multiple originals where the artist’s hand has manipulated the plates, stones, blocks, composite reliefs, or screens and which are properly signed and numbered in limited editions. Photocopies and offset reproductions are not permitted.
- Wood: Original, hand-tooled, machine worked or carved work. If work is painted or inlaid with a different material, applicants should choose 3-D Mixed Media.
Selected artists who submit under the Maker category will receive outdoor booth space. Again, artists may only submit in either the Fine Art OR Maker Category. The Maker Marketplace is intended for handmade, artisanal quality products that are functional, edible and/or decorative including:
- Functional: Heirloom quality kitchen tools, table ware, writing implements, toys, games, bags
- Decor: Handmade decorative objects for home or garden
- Wearable: Handmade garments or accessories
- Paper: Handmade letterpress/ silkscreened objects, cards
- Edible: Handmade, small batch products
IV. BOOTH INFORMATION
2017 FEES + DISPLAY SPACE
ENGAGE Art Fair takes place both indoors and outdoors. Each year the space is custom organized to maximize flow and accessibility for guests to interact with the participating artists. Restrooms are located in the building. One parking space is provided for each Artist free of charge. Artist vehicles may be parked only in designated areas. Please see site map and make all requests in advance on Artist Acceptance Form.
INDOOR SPACE: THE FINE ART GALLERY AND WORKSHOP
The 11,000 square foot Tubbs Exhibition Building will showcase 20-30 exquisite fine artists. There are three indoor space sizes available (S, M, L). Space is linear. One standing wine barrel per artist is available upon request for collateral and small item display. Only in the rare case for purposes of demonstration shall a table be allowed. Request for a table will be considered on a case by case basis. Again, the goal is an open, gallery floor plan. Ceiling and spot lighting are provided to all participants at no extra charge. One 15-amp wall outlet available upon request. Artists will be given vertical exhibition space on the building walls or 8’-10’ panels provided and placed by ENGAGE. Flooring is polished concrete.
Location of artist spaces will be determined by the curatorial committee to maximize visual impact with every effort being made to accommodate artist requests submitted; however, there is no guarantee of placement. Artists will be notified of placement prior to participation agreement and payment due date (3/24/17).
Indoor Gallery Booth Cost:
- $400 – Large Space (at least 28 linear feet wall/ panel)
- $250 – Medium Space (at least 12 linear feet wall/ panel)
- $150 – Small Space (at least 8 linear feet wall/ panel)
Fees may be paid directly, or artist may select the option to donate a piece of work for future fundraising endeavors for related programming. Donated work must have a minimum retail value equal to the space purchased by the artist at ENGAGE 2017 and is subject to approval by the ENGAGE Curatorial Team.
OUTDOOR SPACE: THE MAKER MARKETPLACE
Surrounding the Tubbs Building there is a 15 foot covered outdoor area that will be used for the Maker Marketplace. Up to 15 artists may be placed in this area. Ground for outdoor spaces is a mix of gravel and pavement. One 8' banquet table will be available for each artist upon request. Please see ‘Maker’ Category Description for more details.
Outdoor Marketplace Booth Cost:
$200 – Marketplace Space (15 feet wide x 10 feet deep)
Fees must be paid directly.
V. LEGAL AGREEMENT
All application and participation fees are non-refundable.
There is no rain policy. ENGAGE Art Fair will operate as planned in the case of rain or adverse weather conditions unless deemed unsafe. Artist understands in the case of Force Majeure, ENGAGE Art Fair will not be liable for damage sustained.
Participating Artists must comply with all safety requirements, and local and state laws.
Images of participating artists and wait-listed artists become the property of ENGAGE Art Fair and may be used for archival, publicity, website and confirmation purposes before, during and after the show.
California Seller’s Permit
All participating Artists must have a California Board of Equalization (BOE) issued Seller’s Permit. Proof of permit must be received by ENGAGE Art Fair office no later than March 30, 2017.
Participating Artists are responsible for collecting and paying current California sales tax on all sales made during ENGAGE Art Fair.