di Rosa Center for Contemporary Art seeks a qualified on-call Preparator to assist in the preparation and installation of exhibitions and assist with collections projects as directed.
- Under the direction of the Lead Preparator, assist in the execution of di Rosa’s exhibitions and collection rotations.
- Ensure the safe handling and installation of works of art for temporary exhibition in a timely fashion.
- Should be knowledgeable in all safe art handling practices: installation, wrapping, and packing.
- Assist in the preparation of galleries for installation including wall painting, wall preparation, construction, framing, drywall installation and general light carpentry.
- Assist in working directly with artists to realize commissioned or newly-fabricated artworks.
- Work closely with the Lead Preparator, Curator and Collections Manager/Registrar to receive and return artwork and establish protocols for best art handling practices.
- Assist in the construction of crating, pedestals, cases, and other exhibition furniture.
- Under the direction of the Lead Preparator provide timely and accurate installation, and deploy a variety of techniques to execute exhibition design, object placement, and furniture design.
- Bachelor’s degree in Visual Arts, Studio Arts, Design or similar field of study or commensurate work experience.
- At least 3-5 years’ experience as preparator or in a similar position in a museum, gallery or arts organization.
- Demonstrated knowledge of museum installation techniques. • Experience with art handling, storage, packing, crating and installation.
- Thorough knowledge of construction techniques, materials and tools.
- Ability to climb ladders and scaffolding, to lift up to 50 lbs and stand for long periods of time.
- Ability to read building plans, specifications and diagrams. • Ability to perform a variety of building trades-skilled tasks.
- Skill in the use and care of hand and power tools.
- Excellent communication skills with ability to identify problems and resolve them quickly so that installations can function smoothly.
- Ability to work effectively in partnership with people of diverse cultural backgrounds; ability to lead a team and foster collaboration with all members of di Rosa’s staff.
Working Conditions: Applicants must be comfortable with and enjoy nature, including native waterfowl and domestic peacocks that roam freely on the grounds. Must possess a car and valid driver’s license and be willing to work occasional nights and weekends. General Time Commitment: This position is on-call, as needed. Physical Demands: This position will include a large amount of moving between buildings and on event sites. It requires an ability to stand, walk, move and remain active consistently and for lengthy periods. Ability to lift 50 pounds. Ability to perform routine bending, stooping, twisting, and reaching. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
To apply, please provide the following:
- Resume with education, employment history
- Contact information for 3 references
- Brief cover letter addressing your interest in the position Application materials should be emailed in PDF format with “On-call Preparator” in subject line to: firstname.lastname@example.org