Dia de los Muertos Student Poster Art Contest
Objective: Design a piece of artwork for the official 7th Annual Día de los Muertos en el Valle de Napa event.
About Day of the Dead or Dia de los Muertos: Although very close to Halloween, this festival is not Mexican Halloween but a celebration that embraces the memory of those who have passed with love, respect, and joy. It provides an opportunity to reflect upon one’s life and the cycle of life and death. Taking part in Day of the Dead festivities is one avenue to reinforce connections to our loved ones who have died. Day of the Dead celebrations in Mexico can be traced back to indigenous cultures. Today, observances take place around the world.
This year’s Dia de los Muertos en el Valle de Napa celebration will take place November 4 and 5, 2017 at Harvest Middle School, 2449 Old Sonoma Rd.
Deadline: Friday, September 29 @ 5pm
Eligibility: Open to all Napa County students, grades 6-12
- Square format work, original work must min 8 x 8 inches
- Any two-dimensional medium suitable for reproduction as a poster is allowed, including digital art. All artwork must be original.
- Work must be appropriate and respectful of Dia de los Muertos as a celebration of the memories of loved ones no longer with us.
- 1st Place:
- Selected for Dia de los Muertos official poster to be professionally printed and distributed throughout Napa County
- Leather-embossed sketchbook
- Napa Valley Art Supplies gift certificate
- 2nd and 3rd Place: Leather-embossed sketchbook and Napa Valley Art Supplies gift certificate
- All participants will receive a certificate of recognition
For this contest we will be accepting digital submissions only. Email entries to email@example.com. Please submit a low-resolution .jpeg or .pdf of your entry so that it can be emailed easily, but save the original file or piece of art so that it can be re-submitted for production if it is a winner. If you cannot present the original when requested, you could be disqualified.
- Send digital format, .jpeg or .pdf
- Original work available for exhibition and photography
Please include the following in your email along with the poster file.
- Contact Email:
- Title of Work:
Questions about Día de Los Muertos can be directed to Juan Diaz at (707) 337-2970 or firstname.lastname@example.org.